05 Mar How to Prepare Your Plumbing for Spring
Every Spring, especially in Southeast Idaho, when all that snow is melting, there are a few essential things you should check off your list so that you aren’t facing any bigger plumbing problems later in the year. We want you to have a wonderful Spring, so we have put together a checklist of what needs to be inspected and fixed so that your Spring will uneventful regarding your home’s plumbing. The bathroom has the most to check for potential problems, so it’s a good place to start.
- Inspect bathtub, shower, and sink faucets for leaks.
- Clean buildup on shower head. You save water when you have a clean shower head.
- Check your toilet for any possible leaks or cracks. Also, add some food coloring to the water tank and if it changes the color of the water in the bowl (without flushing) you have a leak.
- Replace any worn out parts on your toilet tank, such as the flush handle, to save your water bill. If it jiggles or is loose, it is worn out.
- Add strainers to your drains. These strainers will catch hair, soap, and other debris from clogging your pipes. Place them in sinks, showers, and bathtubs.
- Test out your sink’s faucet for leaks.
- Check the dishwasher’s and ice dispenser’s supply hose for suspicious bulges or a leak.
- Make a thorough search of the exposed pipes for any leaking water.
- Look for any sign that your water heater is too old. Is the water rust colored? Is there any moisture at the base of your water heater? Does it take a really long time for the water to heat up?
- Reduce your hot water temperature to 120 F at the highest for the upcoming summer to save money.
- Inspect and clean out the rain gutters and downspouts of all accumulated debris to prevent any clogs or flooding.
- Test your sump pump if you have one.
Once you have completed your Spring plumbing checklist, you will be able to relax knowing that you are ready for the rainy spring ahead. If you run into any problems call your local plumber, such as Mathews Plumbing at 208-357-3439, and get it fixed as soon as you can.